*** League News ***
March 2019: Bitton Road Runners has withdrawn from the League.
August 2018: The league congratulates "Team Avon" (the composite team of Bristol & West, Team Bath AC, North Somerset AC,
Yate & District AC and Mendip AC) on qualifying for the National Final of the YDL Upper Age Group competition. Unfortunately
for our League, this event clashes with the final round of the Avon League, and many of our regular officials and competitors will be
at that meeting (we have already had to replace the Starts team).
We will need to call on extra officials in all disciplines to ensure that the main events can go ahead properly. The non-scoring Pole
Vault has been cancelled on this occasion.
August 2018: The League has had claims of distracting or disrespectful behaviour from some athletes towards
athletes of another club at the Round 2 meeting. This sort of situation is unacceptable. Meeting officials have been instructed to report
any such situation to the Track Referee or Field Referee as appropriate (via their event Leader or Chief Official
July 2018: A couple of timetable reminders:
- Round 3: U15G / U17W / SW Triple Jump has been put back to 3.20pm.
- Round 4: U13 Girls Shot is at 1.20pm., Long Jump at 2.10pm. U15 Girls Long Jump is at 1.20pm.,
Shot is at 2.10pm.
And a reminder to the clubs: you need to provide your complement of Quadkids as well as officials for the
main meeting, without being chased!
June 2018: UKA Safety Runings on Hammer / Discus Cages: the situation for our League is:
- Yate / Bristol: Hammer and Discus events can go ahead with the normal levels of vigilance;
- Gloucester: the events can go ahead but we will need to take extra precautions for left-handed Hammer throwers.
June 2018: Rich Cook has tendered his resignation as League Secretary, as a new job is taking him
away from the West Country. The Avon League community would like to thank him for all his work for the League
over the years, and wishes him all good fortune in the future. John Deaton is prepared to act as Interim Secretary
until the 2018-9 AGM, but is not prepared to continue beyond that event.
February 2018: The AGM of the League was held on Friday 16th February. Among the matters agreed:
- Admission of South Glos AC to the League on a one-year trial basis
- Inclusion of U15 Girls Hammer and Triple Jump (the League programme is now gender-equal)
- On all the Long Throws, all clubs are limited to two competitors per age group
November 2017: Team Bath AC sadly reports the passing away of Melvyn Potter. Melvyn was a regular on the League's
Timekeepers' stands for many years, although his appearances in recent seasons had been limited by ill health.
Melvyn was also a past Secretary of the League.
March 2017: The AGM date was held on Thursday 23rd March. Among the matters agreed:
- Fixture dates will be 9th July (Yate), 30th July (Yate), 13th August (Yate), 10th September (Gloucester), all to
start at 11.00am. (corrected June 2017)
- There will be two Wheelchair 100m races (subject to demand) on each timetable (confirmed June 2017)
- Quadkids: The rule about a maximum of five athletes per club per gender will be strictly enforced. Note to Quadkids Team Managers: if
you have brought more than five athletes per gender: you got yourself into this mess, you get yourself out of it.
- Quadkids: there may be two 600m races per gender, depending on turnout. If that happens, Team Managers need to be realistic about
assigning their stronger 600m runners to the first heat.
- A new set of Age Group / Overall Team Trophies will be bought: these will be smaller than the current shields but for permanent
retention. It is hoped to "retire" the existing trophies to a cabinet, possibly at Yate.
- (Please note that these are the Webmaster's recollections of the meeting, not the official Minutes).
July 2016: The following items regarding Field events need to be noted:
- Javelin: Member clubs are reminded of League rule 7 which reads in part: "Team Managers must ensure that all their
entrants have previously achieved in competition or training a valid throw of at least 12.00m (males) or 10.00 (females)".
Please note that this rule applies to all age groups. In Round 1 it was clear that some participants had simply
not been prepared in any way for the competitions: this is not fair to the event officials and not fair to those athletes
genuinely committed to their Javelin throwing.
- Quadkids Standing Long Jump: the Standing Long Jump event is to be "what it says on the tin" -- i.e. no preliminary bounces!
- High Jump: (stated rule now amended)
June 2016: As Severn AC has disbanded, the team formerly known as Gloucester / Severn will now be simply Gloucester AC.
[Subsequent note: Severn AC has re-formed, but as an adult Endurance-only club].
League AGM 2016: this was held on Thursday 14th January at Yate. Among the decisions were:
- Dates for 2016: July 10th at Yate, July 31st at Gloucester, August 21st at Yate, September 11th at Yate.
- Meetings will start at 11.00am, with the meeting timings being all moved an hour forward (minor adjustments may
still be made)
- There will be an investigation of possible new Results software [in the end it was decided to go with an upgraded version
of the current software].
- There will be separate Seniors and Masters categories in the Men's 1500m (as already happens in the Women's 1500m)
- Yate & District AC are planning to hold a barbecue and social event at the end of the Round 4 fixture.
- (these are the webmaster's notes of the meeting, not the official Minutes)
September 2015: Thanks to all Athletes, Officials, Team Managers and helpers for another successful
League season. If you have any thoughts about how the League could be improved, please discuss them with your
team managers and/or club officers so that your club can present a coordinated case at the League AGM.
A few points to note:
- Injured official Ron Freeman (Gloucester AC) was taken to the Yate Minor Injuries Clinic: he was given
the okay to drive home but was advised to go for x-rays.
- Being a long-serving Official, Ron knew the need to sign in as an official, and did so (at Yate, the signing-in sheets are normally
on the tables outside the Announcer's Room) -- but there must have been a number of Officials and helpers
who didn't. Officials and helpers, whether qualified or not, regular or roped-in volunteer, should always do this.
- Quadkids: Two clubs exceeded the limit of 5 athletes per gender. On this occasion we allowed the sixth athletes
to compete, but this is not a precedent! Yes, we know that team selection in any sport can be a fraught issue, but
managers sometimes have to make tough decisions: meeting officials should not have to do it for you.
- Users of the website must realise that your webmaster is not always in a position to update all aspects of the site immediately
after a fixture. To expect the Quadkids ranking lists, for example, to be updated inside 24 hours of the end of the
fixture is just not on!
July 2015: Team Managers: it is essential that names and numbers of competitors are submitted
to the results teams in the required spreadsheet format by the Friday evening before each meeting.
Some Team Managers did not do this before Round 2, so the Results Teams were caused extra work, and
errors crept into the Quadkids ranking lists .
June 2015: A reminder that the Round 2 fixture on July 12th will be at Gloucester.
A couple of points to note:
- There will be no non-scoring Pole Vault at this meeting
- Quadkids: There was a record turnout (29 girls, 25 boys) at Round 1. Because Gloucester's
track has only one jumps pit, it is vital that the Girls Standing Long Jump starts
competing (not just assembling) at 12.00pm,and that the boys (and their officials) are
ready to start as soon as the girls competition finishes.
April 2015: The meeting Timetables are now ready: please throw away (sorry, recycle!)
those from previous seasons. Some changes to note:
- Horizontal Jumps: for 2015, Male TJ / Female LJ will be held at Rounds 1 and 3,
and Male LJ / Female TJ at Rounds 2 and 4
- Quadkids at Gloucester (12th July): Under-11 Girls will go first, with Under-11 Boys
competing immediately afterwards.
- Timetable A: please note that the Under-13 and Under 15 Boys Relays are at 4.00 and 4.10,
not at the end of the programme!
January 2015: The AGM was held on Wednesday 28th January: the decisions included:
- Dates for 2015 are: May 10th at Yate; 12th July at Gloucester; 2nd August at Yate;
13th September at Yate.
- Stroud AC will not be competing in 2015, although they may be taking part in a joint
team with Bitton Road Runners.
- The 3000m (one race per meeting) will be re-introduced [note: decision later
rescinded, as it was felt that including the event extended the timetable too much]
- Quadkids: due to time constraints, the jumps event will be a Standing Long Jump.
Extra time may be scheduled for the 600m races to reduce the possibility of pile-ups.
- Photography / Video: The League will be more active in enforcing the UKA Rule that all
those intending to use still / video cameras of any sort at League meetings are required to
sign the photographers' form in the administration area.
September 2014: Thanks to all those who helped in whatever way during the summer
to produce another season of enjoyable Avon League athletics. Doubtless there will some
gathering of club representatives in the Autumn or early Spring to discuss what changes (if any)
to make for the 2015 season.
July 2014: Round 3 of the 2014 League will be held at the
recently refurbished track at Gloucester on Sunday August 10th. Notes:
- Due to a massive non-response to the suggestion of a 3000m race at this
meeting, there will not be one, and so the Track timetable will be the same as for
- Because Gloucester has a single Long Jump / Triple Jump pit, the Quadkids event will
incorporate a Standing Long Jump, onto a Sportshall-type mat if conditions allow,
into sand otherwise.
- Some points about the venue: there may be parking problems for early arrivals because of a nearby
car boot sale; also, there is no shelter.
May 2014: Please note that no-one other than the League's results team is authorised to send results to PowerOf10.
March 2014: Following the major timetable overruns in 2013 (one factor being the unexpectedly
high turnouts in the younger age groups), a major redesign of the competition was needed. Inevitably,
some athletes will lose competitive opportunities, and the League regrets this.
Among the changes for the 2014 season:
- Clubs will only be allowed three athletes (two will score, one will not) per age group per event.
- Under-11's will take part in a separate Quadkids-style competition, but integrated
into the main timetable.
We will have a core of experienced officials available, but the main load of the officiating will
need to be done by parents and friends.
- The flat Track race distances for Under-13 Girls have been brought into line with those
provided in the YDL Lower Age Group competitions, i.e. 75m, 150m, 800m, 1200m (at the
appropriate meeting). The Under-15
Boys will run 300m, not 400m, in Programme A.
- Only 4x100m relays will be on offer: for Boys/Men only on Programme A, and for Girls/Women
only on Programme B.
- All competitors on Javelin must have previously achieved, either in competition or in
training, a valid throw of 12 metres (Boys/Men) or 10 metres (Girls/Women). All competitors on
the other Field events must have received some basic coaching in their event.
- All athletes (including Seniors now) are restricted to three individual events at a meeting.
In future any athlete competing in more than three individual events at a meeting will lose their best score(s).
All Field event athletes and officials are reminded of the League rule "Guests of the opposite gender to the programmed
event are not allowed in field events with the sole exception of Pole Vault". There can be no exceptions
to this rule.
Since Creation of This Website: The lack of any contact details for the League on this website is deliberate. Any member of one of the participant clubs who
wishes to raise any matter concerning the League should raise it via the appropriate Team Manager.